Përmet is a municipality in Gjirokastër County, southern Albania. The population is 7,717. It is flanked by the Vjosë river, which runs along the Trebeshinë-Dhëmbel-Nemërçkë mountain chain, between Trebeshinë and Dhëmbel mountains, and through the Këlcyra gorge.
In 15th century Përmet came under Ottoman rule and became first a kaza of the sanjak of Gjirokastër and later of the Sanjak of Ioannina. During the 18th and the 19th centuries a Greek school was operating in the town. After a successful revolt in 1833 the Ottoman Empire replaced Ottoman officials in the town with local Albanian ones and proclaimed a general amnesty for all those who had been involved in the uprising.
The artisans of the kaza of Përmet held the monopoly in the trade of opinga in the vilayets of Shkodër and Janina until 1841, when that privilege was revoked under the Tanzimat reforms. The first Albanian-language school of the town was founded in 1889–90 by teachers who worked in the local Muslim madrasah and the Greek Orthodox school. Later the Ottoman authorities forbade Muslim pupils to attend it and the school was eventually banned. In 1909 during the Second Constitutional Era the authorities allowed Albanian language to be taught in the local madrasah.
During the Greco-Italian War, on December 4, 1940, the town came under the control of the advancing forces of the Greek II Army Corps. Permet returned to Axis control in April 1941. In May 1944 the National Liberation Movement held in the town the congress, which elected the provisional government of Albania. During the Communist era Përmet held the title of the Hero City.
Përmet is known for its cuisine, particularly the many different types of jam and kompot known respectively as reçel and komposto, and the production of local wine and raki.